New York City Government Agency
The Department seeks to hire experienced Attorneys to work in the Trials Division. Under general supervision and with wide latitude for independent judgment and action, the selected candidates will be responsible for, but not limited to the following:
• Evaluating disciplinary matters for legal sufficiency.
• Drafting formal Departmental charges against DOC uniform employees.
• Preparing and reviewing of required documents and reciprocal discovery.
• Conducting interviews with potential witnesses.
• Reviewing media, including Genetec video surveillance, handheld videos, body-worn cameras, as well as listening to audio recordings of interviews and witness statements.
• Representing the Department during informal settlement negotiations with opposing counsel.
• Conducting informal conferences concerning disciplinary cases at the Office of Administrative Trials and Hearings(O.A.T.H.);
• Recommending appropriate dispositions on disciplinary matters.
• Preparing memoranda detailing evidence and recommended negotiated plea agreements (settlements);
• Preparing disciplinary matters that are not settled for formal hearings at O.A.T.H; Conducting formal hearings on disciplinary charges at O.A.T.H. against employees of the Department.
• Researching legal issues for appellate argument as the Department's representative, before the New York City Civil Service Commission.
• Being "on call" for a specified time period in order to provide assistance, for determining whether reasonable suspicion exists for authorization to conduct urinalysis testing of a member of the Department.
The candidate will work Monday through Friday, work hours and location can be discussed in further detail during the interview process.
Salaries range from 69k to 90