Position Type: Temp
Agency: New York State agency focused on legal matters.
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Hours: Mon.-Fri. 9:00am-5:00pm
• Respond to consumer complaints and inquiries
o Assist the general public by answering questions via phone or office walk-ins.
o Review written complaints and inquiries, determine how best to handle (ie mediation; referral; private attorney; provide information/materials); and respond to them in writing.
o Identify consumer complaints that could lead to larger affirmative enforcement litigation possibilities.
o Refer consumers to other agencies or provide them with informational materials when appropriate.
• Oversee the regional office’s voluntary consumer mediation program
o Train mediators on how to mediate complaints from initial complaint through disposition, with the goal of obtaining a positive result.
o Assign appropriate complaints to mediators and review the outcomes of the files.
o Personally mediate complaints of particular interest.
o Manage consumer files that develop into affirmative enforcement.
• Assist the Consumer AAG’s and AAGIC with various tasks as required to support enforcement actions.
• Perform research and record management and report generation functions, including responding to records requests.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Under the direction of an Assistant Attorney General candidate will:
• Become familiar with consumer protection laws that our office enforces.
• Confer with attorneys about patterns and potential violations of law and determine whether future action is needed.
• Assist with ongoing investigations and the preparation of litigation.
o Perform background research on the subjects of the investigation and identify all consumers affected.
o Gather and organize evidence to support the investigation, including doing online research, reviewing business documents, and occasionally doing field work.
o Create written summaries or spreadsheets summarizing findings.
o Assist Consumer Frauds staff with legal document assembly.
o Assist with post-enforcement activities such as monitoring businesses and distributing restitution to consumers.
• Other duties and special projects as assigned.
High School Diploma, Technical Degree/Certificate Program, Bachelor's Degree
Penda Aiken, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
SUBS SUBMIT BY 11-29-2023