Manager, External Affairs
New York State Agency
The Manager of External Affairs advances the mission of the Agency through comprehensive outreach and advocacy efforts designed to build strong relationships and support for the programs. This role helps to provide the link between Agency and external constituencies including local, state and federal governments, and the local communities we serve.
The Manager of External Affairs represents Agency before local government and community constituencies including city councils, mayoral offices, neighborhood and business associations, community organizations and the general public.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Ensuring continuity of public engagement around the Agency's various programs and initiatives with the goal of keeping a variety of constituencies engaged and maintaining public support at the community level.
• Coordinating correspondence, compiling support materials, and preparing reports for various constituencies and government entities
• Responding to citizen inquiries that may involve confidential matters
• Coordinating staff participating in various constituent meetings
• Preparing background and briefing materials on community and intergovernmental issues for executive level staff
• Planning, coordinating and facilitating community problem-solving efforts, special events, meetings, conferences and public forums initiated by Agency
• Overseeing the maintenance of community relations contact databases, and external reporting web tools
• A minimum of 5 years’ government and community affairs experience, ideally in an in-house leadership role within a complex organization.
• High energy, empathy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a consensus builder and to position communications discussions
• Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, program recipients, and other supporters
• Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
• Ability to interpret complex policy into clear and concise communication for diverse audiences
• Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
• Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
• A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
• Familiarity or experience working with downstate communities impacted by Superstorm Sandy (NYC or Long Island)