Mental Health & Substance Abuse Social Worker
Perform social case work and related services for patients admitted to the Sullivan County Public Health Services Certified Home Health Agency. Under supervision, investigates to determine eligibility for specialized assistance or the need for specialized case work assistance. This position involves the responsibility for handling cases which are characterized as complex, involved, or unique in terms of need.
Examples of work (illustrative only) are:
- Interview patients and their relatives in order to obtain a full psychosocial history;
- Provides supplements to the medical history of a patient when needed, or such is disclosed by investigation and is relevant;
- Evaluates patient and family attitudes toward the illness and treatment;
- Participates in evaluation conferences; ssists certified Home Health Agency to interpret illness to the patient and family;
- Renders appropriate casework services;
- Makes home visits as required;
- Secures the interest and may coordinate the resources of community agencies whose aid is needed by patients under care, or their families; Prepares statistics and reports;
- Maintains all necessary records pertinent to patient care and related activities;
- Responsible to respond to referral with 10 days of initial start of care;
- Responsible for communication with Public Health Nurse (RN) regarding plan of treatment.
Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of clinical social work. Good knowledge of he field, aims and procedures of public and private social agencies. Good knowledge of casework techniques. Good knowledge of the more common types of illness and the usual medical or nursing care requirements. Ability to maintain effective working relationships with related care work personnel, physicians, nurses and patients. Ability to maintain a sympathetic understanding of the ill and their problems. Ability to observe, analyze and relate to the medical and social factors in a particular case, emotional maturity. Ability to speak and write effectively with tact and good judgment. Must be proficient in use of computers for required documentation. Graduation from an accredited school of social work with a Master s Degree in Social Work and two years of social work experience which must have included one year of supervised casework or social work experience and one year of this experience must have been in a medical, mental health or public health setting; or equivalent combination of the foregoing training and experience.