The NYC Agency's Legal Department provides legal services to all divisions and departments of the agency. The Department's responsibilities include: advising the Board of Trustees, officers, and employees of all legal requirements of the City Agency's construction program and business operations; managing litigation and defending the Agency in administrative matters; mediating construction claims and disputes; drafting and negotiating Agency contracts, license agreements, memoranda of understanding, and other legal documents; responding to requests pursuant to the Freedom of Information Law (FOIL); managing the Agency's public works lien system; and providing assistance with regard to the City's Conflicts of Interest laws.
· Independently manage the processing of license agreements, including
o review of checklists submitted by other Departments to ensure complete and accurate information
o gather and compile license agreement exhibits
o track signatures, issuance of insurance certificates, registration of payees, issuance of payments, and scheduling future payments and uploading/updating information in the Agency’s License Agreement Tracking System (LATS)
· Assist in litigations, including
o circulate and track litigation preservation notices to document custodians
o collect documents and provide information to the NYC Law Department
o provide legal research
o compile motion exhibits
· Assist the Agency’s FOIL Officer track and gather documents in response to Freedom of Information requests
· Perform related duties as assigned
Specific Skills Required for Position:
· Scrupulous attention to detail
· Excellent organization and time management ability
· Ability to take initiative and independently manage progress of assignments and follow-up appropriately with various internal departments to ensure timely completion of assignments
· Solid research skills
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
The ideal candidate for this position will have at least 3 years of experience as a paralegal in construction and litigation and be responsible for collecting and organizing information from multiple sources while managing deadlines and assignments.
Four-year high school diploma(or GED). BA in Paralegal Studies is preferred as well as experience in the construction industry and/or government contracts and/or insurance/tort litigation.